1. Which of the following is the correct URL for the website where we found
the definitions and details about acronyms like SIMM or DIMM, as shown in
2. According to the first video we saw in class, which of the following
people developed the most popular PC operating system when IBM had to choose
an operating system for its new PC in 1980?
A) Ian McKellen
B) Bill Gates
C) Alison Krauss
D) Michael Dorn
E) Gary Kildall
3. According to the first time line shown in class, which of the following
is the length on the timeline itself that represented how long since digital
electronic computers were invented?
A) Ten meters
B) One meter
C) Half a meter
D) Five centimeters
E) One millimeter
4. According to the reading in the textbook, and class notes, which
of the following lists of types of computers are in the correct order from
least to most powerful?
A) Desktop, Workstation, Mainframe, Supercomputer, Laptop.
B) Palm Pilot, Supercomputer, Server, Workstation, Notebook, Mainframe.
C) Palm Pilot, Notebook, Workstation, Server, Mainframe, Supercomputer.
D) Personal Digital Assistant (PDA), Calculator, Supercomputer, Workstation, Mainframe.
E) Minicomputer, Palmtop, Minitower PC, Unix Workstation, Server, Mainframe, Supercomputer.
5. According to lecture and the textbook, which of the following is NOT
an operating system?
B) OS/2 Warp
6. Which of the following prefixes refers to one Quintillion bits
of storage space (1,000,000,000, 000,000,000) or 10 to the 18th power.
7. Imagine you want to log into zoo to use pine to check your e-mail.
You sit down at one of the PCs in lab and use telnet to connect to zoo.
You have your zoo prompt zoo> on the screen. Which of the following
software is running on zoo that displays the zoo> prompt?
B) Unix (AIX)
8. Following along from the previous question, imagine you want to
see which host in the zoo cluster you are logged into. Which of the
following commands do you type in at the prompt?
E) ls process host
9. Which of the following best describes “pipelining” according to
the assigned reading in the text book?
A) The old-fashion way of sending data on paper enclosed in a canister and dropped in an air-tube that whisks the data canister to another part of a building.
B) The process by which a CPU can begin executing a second instruction before the first instruction is finished.
C) The way data are coded into different color light beams and sent over a fiber optic cable, thereby increasing the amount of data that can be sent at one time.
D) Verbally talking to another person over long metal pipes that connect two parts of a building or ship.
E) Organizing many different kinds of network cables inside a polyvinylchloride (PVC) pipe.
10. Which of the following media has the largest capacity to hold
or store information?
A) Current PC Hard Drive
B) Zip drive
C) High Density 3.5-inch diskette
E) Eight-inch floppy diskette
11. According to the video in class, which of following best explains
how Microsoft made so much money in the 1980s?
A) Microsoft’s Operating system DOS was sold with every IBM PC and Microsoft got $50 per PC Royalties from every IBM PC sold.
B) Microsoft made its money from selling DOS to clone makers like Compaq, Dell, and Amstrad.
C) Microsoft made the microprocessors for all IBM and clone machines.
D) Microsoft controlled most of the public stock in IBM in the 1980s. As IBM stock went up, so did the net worth of Microsoft.
E) Microsoft had the copyright to the ROM-BIOS chip used in all IBM PCs?
12. According to the video we have watched in class, which of the following
companies was awarded the Pentagon’s bid to create the first digital network
in the late 1960s that led to the development of the Internet?
A) Bolt, Beranek, & Newman (BBN)
B) International Business Machines (IBM)
C) Intergalactic Digital Research (IDR)
D) Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC)
E) American Telephone & Telegraph (AT&T)
13. In the image above there is a small plus sign next to the AGRI
85 folder. Which of the following best explains what the plus signifies?
A) The AGRI 85 folder is write-protected.
B) The AGRI 85 folder has files inside of it.
C) The AGRI 85 folder is password protected.
D) The AGRI 85 folder is empty
E) The AGRI 85 folder has other folders inside it.
14. According to the second lab, which of the following AIX commands
will display all the users that are logged onto zoo?
A) ls names
15. Which of the following best explains why diskettes are used as
storage in personal computers instead of cassette tapes?
A) Diskettes have a larger storage capacity than tapes.
B) Cassette tapes are more expensive to manufacture than diskettes.
C) Diskettes are sturdier and more damage-resistant than cassette tapes.
D) Information on diskettes can be accessed faster than on cassette tapes.
E) All of the above.
Refer to system board picture in textbook
16. Which of the following letters points to the where Memory Modules
would be inserted?
17. Which of the following letters points to ISA expansion slots?
18. Imagine next semester you move to a new apartment off campus.
You decide to update your signature file for Pine e-mails that you send out
from zoo. Which of the following best describes the process you could
use to update your signature file?
A) Open your signature.mail file in Notepad, make the address change, save it, and upload the file to your mail/folder on zoo.
B) Log onto zoo, get into pine, choose S for setup, S for signature file, make the change, save with Ctrl-X, Y, enter.
C) Use FTP and download your mail.signature file from your mail/ directory on zoo. Open up the file in Word, make the changes, save it, upload to zoo.
D) On the web go to webmail.uvm.edu, after logging in click on Preferences in the left frame, then change your signature file and click on Save Preferences.
E) All of the above.
19. Which of the above symbols above would you click on in MS-Word to set the Hanging Indent as we did with the Resume assignment in lab 3?
20. Imagine you are creating a Word document and you type in
an e-mail address and hit enter at the end of the address. The address
becomes underlined and turns blue such as in firstname.lastname@example.org. Which
of the following methods will work to remove the underlining and change the
color to black?
A) Block out the address and click on the Underline button on the tool bar.
B) Block out the address, pull the Format menu down, choose Font, and click on Regular in the “font style.
C) Place the cursor at the end of the underlined blue e-mail address and press Backspace.
D) Click on the Clipboard button on the toolbar.
E) None of the above will work.