Over the past decade, we have worked to improve the teaching of surface processes and hydrology both at the University of Vermont and nationwide by distributing our models for pedagogy. Our efforts have take place both in the field and in the lab.
Examples of this work include: designing and implementing curricula to teach winter hydrology in the field using the analysis of snow packs and frozen lakes, service learning accomplished through interaction with the city of Burlington and outlying towns in regards to mapping land use, groundwater resources, and hydrologic changes over time, and working to ensure that the latest in water-related research results are distributed to students in introductory Earth Science courses.
The work has involved not only classes but NSF-supported interns and most recently the development of educational software related to surface water under NSF support.
- Bierman, P.R., Howe, J., Stanley-Mann, E., Peabody, M., Hilke, J., and Massey, C.A., (2005). Old images record landscape change through time GSA Today. V. 15, n. 4, 10:1130/1052-5173(2005)015, p.1 -6
- Butler, E., Bierman, P.R., Gadja, R. (2003) Making geoscience interesting and relevant in a large lecture class, EOS, vol. 84, n 47, p 517, 522.
- Nichols, K.K., Bierman, P.R., Persico, L., Bosley, A., Melillo, P., and Kurfis, J. (2003) Quantifying land use and urban run off changes through service learning hydrology projects. Journal of Geoscience Education, v. 51, n. 4, p.365-372.
- Gran, S. Nichols, K., and Bierman, P. R., (1999) Teaching winter using frozen lakes and snowy mountains, Journal of Geoscience Education. v. 47, p. 420-427.
- Clapp, E., Bierman, P., Church, A. B., Larsen, P. L., Schuck, R. A. and Hanzas, J. P. (1996) Teaching Geohydrology through analysis of groundwater resources and glacial geology, northwestern Vermont. Journal of Geoscience Education. 44, 45-51.
- Massey, C., Bierman, P., Lavoie, J.P., Manduca, C., Berrizbeitia, I., Henry, J., (2005), Learning visually with historic "geo-images". Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs.