The overall goal of this research project is to reduce the phosphorus (P) concentration of milk parlor effluent to environmentally acceptable levels and to assess (EAF) steel slag filter systems for on-site farm applications. Additional objectives are to determine the engineering requirements and optimal filter design for achieving maximum treatment efficiency, and to assess the potential of filter material re-use as a fertilizer for on-farm applications.
For more information please contact graduate student Simon Bird (firstname.lastname@example.org), Aleksandra Drizo (email@example.com) or visit our webpage (see link below).
This research has been supported through USDA-CSREES (Special Research Grant, Special Research Grant # 2003-06012: Constructed Wetlands Center for Research, Education, and Outreach at the University of Vermont and Environmentally Friendly Products Grant) and NRCS (Senator Pat Leahy earmark for VT Natural Resources Conservation Service to promote alternative manure management).
- Shilton, A.N., Elmetri, I., Drizo, A., Pratt, S., Haverkamp, R.G. and Bilby, S.C. (2005). Phosphorus Removal by an 'Active' Slag Filter - a Decade of Full Scale Experience. Water Research 40 (113-118).
- Drizo, A., Forget, C., Chapuis, R.P. and Comeau, Y. (2005). Phosphorus removal by electric arc furnace (EAF) steel slag and serpentinite. Water Research. In press.
- Shilton,A., Pratt, S., Drizo, A., Mahmood, B., Banker, S., Billings, L., Glenny, S. and Luo, D. (2005). 'Active' filters for upgrading phosphorus removal from pond systems. Water Science and Technology 51(12): 111-116.
- Naylor, S., Drizo, A., Brisson, J. and Comeau, Y. (2003). Treatment of freshwater fish farm effluent using constructed wetlands: the role of plants and substrate. Water Science and Technology 48 (5): 215-222.
- Drizo, A., Forget, C., Chapuis, R.P. and Comeau, Y. (2002). Phosphorus removal by EAF steel slag - A parameter for the estimation of the longevity of constructed wetland systems. Environmental Science and Technology 36, 4642-4648.
- Comeau, Y, Brisson, J., Reville, J.P, Forget, C. and Drizo, A. (2001). Phosphorus removal from trout farm effluents by constructed wetlands. Water Science and Technology 44 (11-12): 55-60.
- Drizo, A., Frost, A.C., Smith, K.A and Grace, J. (2000). Phosphate and ammonium distribution in constructed wetlands with horizontal subsurface flow, using shale as a substrate. Water Research, 34 (9):2483-2490.
- Drizo, A., Frost, A.C., Smith, K.A and Grace, J. (1999). Physico-chemical screening of phosphate-removing substrates for use in constructed wetland systems. Water Research 33 (17):3595-3602.
- Drizo, A., Frost, A.C., Smith, K.A and Grace, J. (1997). Phosphate and ammonium removal by constructed wetlands with horizontal subsurface flow, using shale as a substrate. Water Science and Technology 35 (5): 95-102.