University of Vermont

Human Subjects Research - Institutional Review Boards - IRBs

Untitled Document


The University of Vermont and UVM Medical Center are committed to assuring that all of its research activities are conducted in a way that promotes the rights and welfare of its participants. This page provides useful information if you are considering participating in research, are currently involved in research, or want to find out more about research from the viewpoint of a participant. General information is provided on the conduct and oversight of research and the protection of human subjects.

By taking part in a research study, you can also contribute to better understanding of how the treatment or intervention works in people of different ethnic backgrounds and genders. By taking part in a clinical trial, you can try a new treatment that may or may not be better than those already available.

Informed Consent Protects Research Participants

To help you decide if you want to be a research participant in a study, the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires informed consent, which means you are given information about the study before you agree to take part. Research participants should be informed about:

  • the purpose of the research
  • how long the study is expected to take
  • what will go on in the study and which parts of the study are experimental
  • possible risks or discomforts
  • possible benefits
  • the person to contact with questions about the study, your rights, and injuries related to research
  • the fact that being in the study is voluntary and you can quit at any time.

The Consent Form should be written so you can understand it. If you don't, be sure to ask the researcher, doctor, or other medical person to explain it. Make sure you understand all of the information in the consent form before you agree to be in the study.

Questions to Consider

Here are some questions to ask your doctor or researcher to help you decide if you want to take part in a research study, including clinical trials: 

  • How do I qualify for the study?
  • What is the study trying to find out?
  • How long will the study last?
  • What kinds of test and exams will I have to take while I'm in the study?
  • How much time do these take? What is involved in each test?
  • How often does the study require me to go to the doctor, laboratory or clinic?
  • What follow-up will there be?
  • What will happen at the end of the study?

External Resources for Additional Information

Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP)
Becoming a Research Volunteer: It's Your Decision (pdf)

National Institutes of Health (NIH)

NIH Clinical Research Trials and You

Veterans Health Administration 

Volunteering in Research

Food and Drug Administration (FDA)

Why Volunteer?

Centers for Disease Control (CDC) 

Taking Part in Research Studies
            National Institute of  Mental Health

                    Join a Research Study

Want to find out more about research at the University of Vermont or UVM Medical Center or interested in participating in research?

Clinical Trials Listings

  • For a listing of some of the clinical trials being conducted at the University and UVM Medical Center see links below.
  • For other clinical trials, visit
  • Researchers also advertise their studies via local advertisements, including radio ads, newspaper ads, and web based postings, such as Some researchers also use subject pools, such as internal department pools, Knowledge Networks or Mechanical Turk. 

University of Vermont and UVM Medical Center Clinical Trials Information
Office of Clinical Trial Research
Clinical Psychology Laboratories
Clinical Neuroscience Research Unit
Clinical Research Center
Health Behavior Research Center
Health Promotion Research Office
Centers and Institutes
Vermont Cancer Center
Vermont Lung Center

Last modified November 07 2014 04:23 PM

Ethics and Compliance Reporting and Help Line
Contact UVM © 2017 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131