Vermont Barn Census: Richmond

Preliminary Research - 2009





Agricultural Census


Kenyon Rd.   
Located on the Winooski River between Montpelier and Burlington, Richmond's argicultural heritage extends over two hundred years. Indeed, Richmond is one of the only towns in Chittenden County not originally chartered by the state of New Hampshire, being formed from parts of Jericho, Bolton, Huntington, and Williston in 1791. Although not all of Richmond's farming structures have survived, a number these buildings are still in use today. Whether it be a Sugar House on Huntington Road or the landmark East & West Monitor Barns on Route 2,  these structures serve as outstanding reminders of Richmond's agricultural legacy.


To view this video with Internet Explorer, click here.        
Information about the Vermont Barn Census produced by Michael Plummer, 2008 UVM HPP graduate intern with the
    Vermont Division of Historic Preservation

Franklin, VTDerby, VTBrownington, VTHinesburg, VTHuntington, VTRichmond, VTNorwich, VTHartford, VTDorset, VTManchester, VTTownshend, VTGrafton, VT

This preliminary research about barns and farm buildings in thirteen Vermont towns is offered as a public service to assist local volunteers with their efforts to learn more about the agricultural heritage of these communities. It is hoped that additional information on the history and features of these barns will be submitted by volunteers through the Vermont Barn Census project. The historical research and preliminary field documentation was conducted during the fall 2009 semester by graduate students enrolled in the Researching Historic Structures and Sites course at University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program with the assistance of local volunteers as part of the Vermont Barn Census, a statewide project of the Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, the University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program, Historic Windsor’s Preservation Education Institute, Save Vermont Barns, Vermont Housing and Conservation Board, and the Preservation Trust of Vermont. Funding support provided in part by a Preserve America grant through the National Park Service to the State of Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.