In the late 1800s, two men, A.O. Ferguson and Charles W. Scarff, purchased a plot of land in the south end of Burlington. With a planned community in mind, the two portioned out the land to include an industrial area on the western end. The rest of the area was designated as residential. Soon, this plot became home to many residents of Burlington who worked in the designated industrial area as well as in the lively downtown area of Burlington. Meant to serve as a "commuter" type residence for many, the Ferguson & Scarff addition quickly filled with a working and middle-class population.

The following photos highlight the growth of infrastructure and residents of the Ferguson & Scarff Addition in the South End of Burlington and the changes that have taken place over the years.


To see photos, click on locations above, or jump to the following highlights:


St. Anthony's Church

Flynn Avenue Industrial Complex

Vermont Structural Steel Corporation

Champlain School




Or, choose your location by street:

Briggs Steet: looking south from intersection with Flynn Avenue.

Flynn Avenue: looking west from almost Shelburne Road; looking west from intersection with Pine Street; looking east from west of the rail road tracks; looking east from the train tracks; looking west from Briggs Street intersection; looking west.

Ferguson Avenue: looking east from intersection with Briggs Street; looking west from Shelburne Road.

Home Avenue: looking west from intersection with Wells Street; looking east from intersection with Richardson Street.

Lyman Avenue: looking west from Shelburne Road.

Richardson Street: looking north from Home Avenue.

Scarff Avenue: looking east from intersection with Richardson Street; looking west from intersection with Wells Street.


Back to Burlington, Vermont: South of Pearl Street and Colchester Avenue


Historic Burlington Project
Depression Era Streetscapes: Old North End | Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of University of Vermont Library Special Collections, Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection