Home Avenue looking east from intersection with Richardson Street

April 18, 1934; Louis L. McAllister

October 22, 2006; Brandee Wagner: 180642193E; 4923510N; 203ft.

In this photo of Home Avenue, looking east from the intersection with Richardson Street, McAllister is documenting a sewer construction project on Home Avenue in 1934.  The two-story house on the north (left) side of the street with the prominent porch is #164/162 Home Avenue.  At the time of this photo this duplex was home to Paul A. Moody, a professor at UVM and John Flambert, a teacher at JHS.(1)  The character of the Ferguson & Scarff Addition was born out of residents just like Flambert and Moody, making it a middle-class “everyman’s” neighborhood.

This sewer project was just one of many meant to improve the Addition which in turn would continue aiding its rapid growth.  City reports often make note that this was the fastest growing area at this time.(2)

(1) Manning's Burlington & Winooski Directory for year 1934 (Springfield H.A. Manning Co).

(2) 73rd Report of the City of Burlington, Vermont 1938 (Burllington: Free Press Printing Co.), p169.


Today, Home Avenue is a very busy street and traffic is constant primarily because it serves as a connector between Shelburne Road, the Shelburne Road Plaza, and Pine Street.  The streetscape has changed dramatically with the addition of the houses on the south (right) side of the street, mainly in the 1930s to late 1940s.(1)  The wide-open farmlands are now packed with single-family homes, a sure sign of the suburban growth of the time period.




(1) Manning's Burlington & Winooski Directory for year 1930-1950 (Springfield H.A. Manning Co).

Next: Scarff Avenue looking east from Richardson Street.

Back to: Ferguson & Scarff Addition Map.

Back to: Home Avenue looking west from intersection with Wells Street.

Back to: Burlington Vermont: South of Pearl Street & Colchester Avenue.

Historic Burlington Project
Depression Era Streetscapes: Old North End | Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of University of Vermont Library Special Collections, Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection