Pine & Howard Street (2)
Looking North

June 13, 1935; Louis L. McAllister

October 22, 2006; Caitlin Meives
UTM 180641981E; 4925357N

McAllister also took this image at the intersection of Howard and Pine Streets, however, this view faces north rather than south as in the Pine & Howard Street image.  The three story brick building with rusticated foundation at #431 Pine is the factory of the Maltex Company, manufacturers of malted cereals and breakfast foods.[26]  This factory was built between 1899 and 1900, replacing Mathews and Hickok buildings that burned in a fire between 1889 and 1894.  In 1899, when the Maltex Company first appears in the city directory on Pine Street, it is known as Malted Cereals Company.  Across the street, the one story brick structure is another building belonging to the E.B. and A.C. Whiting Company.

The men working in this photograph are beginning the street widening of Pine Street from Maple to Howard Streets, which also included creation of curbs and gutters.[27]

[26] Burlington Sanborn Insurance Map, 1938

     Burlington City Directory, 1935

[27] Burlington Annual City Report, 1936, 275.

This section of Pine Street looks much the same as it did in 1935.   The former factory remains today but now houses Café Piccolo and other businesses.  A modern addition has been added to the north side of the building and the windows on the front facade have been unbricked.  The Maltex Company last appeared in the city directory at 431 Pine Street in 1968.  The railroad tracks still run in front of the building however, the road has been widened and the sidewalk removed.  The one story brick structure across the street is today home to Fresh Market, Pine Street Artworks, and a coffeeshop.
Historic Burlington Project
Depression Era Streetscapes: Old North End | Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser - in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of University of Vermont Library Special Collections, Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection