16 South Winooski Avenue
Taken on February 20, 1944 by Louis McAllister, this image shows several buildings lining Pearl Street in the background, with South Winooski Avenue and new city snow removal equipment in the foreground. The winter of 1944 had near record snow falls, as George C. Stanley, Street Department Superintendent, stated in the 1944 city report, “the past winter was one of exception demands on the Street Department for Snow Removal Work.”(1) Along with salting streets to melt the snow, equipment such as the trucks shown here were extensively used. The caption for the photograph reads, “This view shows the Snow King Rotary Plow loading snow from S. Winooski Avenue into truck which hauled the snow to the dumping area at the foot of College Street. Each load contained approximately ten cubic yards when piled high above the cab as shown in this picture.”
The large American elm trees in this view are located on the property at 16 South Winooski Avenue, which was historically the “Church Green” of the 1st Congregational Church in 1869(2). In 1871, a 2-1/2 story frame building with brick veneer dwelling was erected as the church parsonage(3). By 1931, the property and the house remained part of the church, and Rev. Charles S Jones resided there through the 1940s(4). For more information pertaining to the buildings located on Pearl Street at this intersection please click here.
(1) 79th Report of City of Burlington, Vermont, 1944; 163,
(2) A.B.Young Map. Burlington, Vermont 1830; Beers Map of Burlington, Vermont 1869.
(3) Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey; David Blow, Historic Guide to Burlington Neighborhoods, (Burlington: Queen City Printers, Inc.), 1991, 47.
(4) Burlington City Directory, 1931, 1942 (Burlington: H. A. Manning Co., 1916-1986).
16 South Winooski Avenue,
The southeast corner of the intersection of Pearl Street and South Winooski Street remains similar in appearance as it did in the 1940s. Though the large American elm trees on the property at 16 South Winooski have been lost to Dutch Elm Disease, several maples (Acer species) have been planted lining the east edge of the street. Today the house is occupied by the Ronald McDonald House. For more information about the current buildings located on Pearl Street at this intersection please click here.
Historic Burlington Project
Depression Era Streetscapes: Old North End | Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser - in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of University of Vermont Library Special Collections, Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection