16 South Winooski Avenue
This McAllister photograph was taken from the center of South Winooski Avenue looking northwest. The prominent subject of the photograph are two trucks removing a large amount of snow from the street. The caption reads, “This view shows the Snow King Rotary Plow loading snow from S. Winooski Avenue into truck which hauled the snow to the dumping area at the foot of College Street. Each load contained approximately ten cubic yards when piled high above the cab as shown in this picture.” Other prominent features shown in the photograph include a three story brick building, utility poles, deciduous tree canopies, and a Shell gas station sign. The large brick building to the left of the photograph is located at 180-184 Pearl Street. The building exhibits several bays with rounded arched 1-over-1 windows with a marquee on the front façade reading “Drugs” and “Ice Cream Bar”.
180-184 Pearl was likely constructed during the late 19th century, and by 1901 occupants of the builing included the Burlington Furniture Company and M.H. and M.G. Rosenburg(1). Three decades later in 1931, the building was listed as the Clement Block, which was subdivided into many offices and apartments at that point in time. Tenants of the building 1931 include the Wager Linen and Art Shop, Mrs. Elizabeth Blow, Arthur Sherwin, Gadue Beauty Parlor & Training School, Mary L. Briggs, William S. Wager, Mrs. Harriet Conant, Francis J. Arnold, physician, Eva Hammond, May Adrien, Alice Byrnes, Neil L. Gover, Bert Irish, Irene M Livingstone, and two vacancies(2).
In 1942, the building retained many of its residents. On the street level, Clement Block tenants included the New York Beauty Shoppe and Young’s Pharmacy. Upper floors contained Morrill’s Beauty Shop, Francis J Arnold, physician’s office, eleven other individuals, and three vacancies(3).
(1) Burlington City Directory, 1901 (Burlington: H. A. Manning Co., 1916-1986).
(2) Burlington City Directory, 1931 (Burlington: H. A. Manning Co., 1916-1986).
(3) Burlington City Directory, 1942 (Burlington: H. A. Manning Co., 1916-1986).
16 South Winooski Avenue
Today the broader streetscape of Pearl Street and South Winooski Avenue is quite open with few buildings and limited vegetation. South Winooski has been widened to four lanes, and a lot of overhead infrastructure such as traffic lights, pedestrian lights, and signs dot the landscape today. The Clement block remains standing along the northern edge of Pearl Street. In 1972, the building contained two businesses including the Signal Finance Corporation and Young’s Pharmacy, nine private residences, and five vacant spaces(1). Today the Four Season Beauty Salon and numerous apartments occupy the space.
(1) Burlington City Directory, 1972 (Burlington: H. A. Manning Co., 1916-1986).
Historic Burlington Project
Depression Era Streetscapes: Old North End | Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser - in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of University of Vermont Library Special Collections, Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection