264-295 Manhattan Drive; 87 Spring Street, Photo by Louis McAllister in 1938
Coordinates: 18T 0641953 UTM 4927241
When this photo was taken in the fall of 1938, McAllister captured a typical streetscape of the Old North End. In the foreground sidewalks and greenbelts curve with the streets. In addition to the many utility poles in the photo, an old streetlight can be seen in the right side of the photo. The street itself looks a little worn, with some of the asphalt eroding on the left side of the photo. In the foreground is 264-266 North Bend, with 87 Spring Street on the right, and 293-295 North Bend on the background with the truck in front of it.
264-266 North Bend was a two-unit structure that first appeared on the Sanborn Map in 1912, but the residences can be traced back in the Burlington City Directories to 1898. At that time Mitchell Michaud, a laborer, was living in 266 with his wife, who worked for HW Allen & Co. In 1901, John B. Vincent moved into 264. The two-story vernacular Italianate structure featured roof brackets and a screened porch centered on the front of the building. The 1926 Sanborn Map shows an alteration to the porch. It shows it smaller and off center. However from McAllister’s 1938 photograph, the porch looks about the same size as it did in the 1912 Sanborn, and it centered below the second floor windows. Like apartments today, these units changed tenants yearly. One interesting pattern does appear. The last name Dague is listed more then once. Edward C. Dague moved into 264 in 1915. The next year, Edward moved to 266, and that same year Henry Dague moved into 264. Both men lived there until 1918. Charles E. Dague lived at 266 from 1919-21, and 1928-1938.
87 Spring Street was first noted on the 1889 Sanborn Map at 77 Spring Street. This two-story brick house was built with a rough-faced random-course ashlar stone foundation. The roof gives a hint of classicism with the return of the eaves. In 1889 the property also had a barn. The property remained unchanged until 1912, when the barn grew, and included (3) other outbuildings, all of which formed and “L” around 2 sides of the property. In contrast, the 1926 Sanborn shows all of the outbuildings, including the barn, demolished, and replaced by one, small garage. This is what is reflected in the 1938 McAllister photo. Perhaps, what is more interesting is the daily life that this house captured in the image. Clean socks hang from the clothesline in the backyard; bottles are stacked on top of the refrigerator on the back porch; and other unidentifiable objects can be seen on the porch.293-295 was a two-unit apartment house that can be traced back though the city directories to Edward Dumas, Jr. In 1898, Dumas moved into what was then 291. Dumas was a laborer. He shared the apartment with his son, Edward Dumas, III, who employed by the city. In 1900, his next-door neighbor, Louis Lavallee a teamster, moved into what was then 289. Occupants come and went from year to year, and the structure grew over time. The 1942 Sanborn show a six-car garage at the rear of the property.
1. Sanborn Map, 1912. Special Collections, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont.
2. Burlington City Directory Including Winooski & South Burlington (Burlington: L.P. Waite & Co., 1898).
3. Burlington City Directory Including Winooski & South Burlington (Burlington: L.P. Waite & Co., 1901).
4. Sanborn Map, 1926. Special Collections, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont.
5. Burlington and Winooski, Vermont Directory (Springfield, Mass: H.A. Manning Co., 1915).
6. Burlington and Winooski, Vermont Directory (Springfield, Mass: H.A. Manning Co., 1918).
7. Burlington and Winooski, Vermont Directory (Springfield, Mass: H.A. Manning Co., 1938).
8. Sanborn Map, 1889. Special Collections, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont.
9. Sanborn Map, 1912. Special Collections, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont.
10. Sanborn Map, 1926. Special Collections, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont.
11. Burlington City Directory Including Winooski & South Burlington (Burlington: L.P. Waite & Co., 1898).
12. Burlington City Directory Including Winooski & South Burlington (Burlington: L.P. Waite & Co., 1900).
13. Sanborn Map, 1940. Special Collections, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont.
264-295 Manhattan Drive; 87 Spring Street, Photo by Julie Weisgerber in 2005
The current photo shows evidence of change in the most glaring way. A speed sign now adorns the greenbelt in the foreground. The utility pools have been reduced, and the are a few more trees. However, the most dramatic change is the absence of 264-266 Manhattan Drive. This home was demolished sometime after 1986. It has been replaced with a smaller single unit dwelling. What is interesting, is that before being torn down, Ernest J. Dague, Jr. is listed at 264, with is father, Ernest J Dague, Sr. residing at 266. From 1984-86, both apartments are listed as vacant, and Dague, Sr. moved to 260 Manhattan. On 87 Spring Street, the overhang for the back porch has been removed. In addition, the larger of the two back windows on the second floor has been filled in, and replaced by a smaller window. Also, the eaves no longer return inward at the end of the roofline. In 1978, 293-295 Manhattan Drive was also demolished. Today the property has been folded into the playground for the elementary school.
14. Burlington & South Burlington, Essex Junction, & Winooski Directory (Bellows Falls, VT: H.A. Manning, 1984 through 1986)
Return to Manhattan Drive Index
Historic Burlington Project
Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students
in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser
in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection University of Vermont Library Special Collections