Colchester Ave toward East Street- McAllister Photo, June 1933
McAllister documented the city work crew on June 6, 1933 laying large rock on the south side of Colchester Ave. The area is back-dropped by a vast lawn to the south and residential buildings across the street to the north. There are road barricades, blocking a road that disappears out of view to the south. The street is lined on both sides with large American elm trees. Some of the work crew are looking back at McAllister and it seems as if he asked them to stop a moment so he may photograph them. A convertible automobile is parked on the north side of the street, while two automobiles are driving off into the distance. A man in a suit is walking on the north side sidewalk.
#66 Colchester Avenue is the only clearly visible structure in the photo. It is a 1 1/2 story front gabled, vernacular building set amongst trees on the north side of the street. The city directories list J. Edward Bisson, a plumber, residing at the address from 1893 until 1930. In 1930, the city directory lists Louis A. Ritchie also residing. The 1935 city directory only lists Ritchie residing at the address. The Sanborn maps, beginning in 1900, have the house listed as #68 Colchester Avenue, however the actual address is #66.
Colchester Ave toward East Street- K.Smith Photo, Oct. 2005
The present photo dates to November 2005 and shows a streetscape that has changed. The road is now divided to allow for four lanes of traffic: two lanes in opposite directions. The vast lawn to the south of Colchester Avenue is now inhabited by Fletcher Allen Hospital. The residential buildings on the north side of Colchester Avenue remain, however many are used for commercial purposes. #66 Colchester Avenue structurally remains unchanged, however a dentist office now occupies the building. A traffic light now marks the entrance into the hospital. One very noticeable difference is the absence of the large American elm trees. Colchester Avenue is now lined by small shade trees and evergreens.
Return to Index
Historic Burlington Project
Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students
in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser
in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection University of Vermont Library Special Collections