Blodgett Street off North Street- McAllister Photo c. 1930
The residential neighborhood of Blodgett Street is shown in McAllister’s c.1930 photograph. Large American elm trees line both sides of the street. #30 North Street is the building in the foreground at the left and the photo shows only the east façade. This building first appears on the 1900 Sanborn map with the notation of “meat shop.” From 1900 to present, the city directories list different businesses occupying the space. Behind #30 North Street can be seen a house with a side porch. This building is #19 Blodgett Street and had hardworking, enterprising occupants. The 1913 city directory lists Meyer Hirschberg residing in the house with his wife, Anna and also states Hirschberg owned a second hand store located at #5-7 North Street. By 1930, the city directory has Emery Vorheis, and employee of The Burlington Baking Co., residing.
The right side of Blodgett Street shows addresses #22/24 and #40. #22/24 Blodgett Street, the closest to the viewer, has had many different addresses. Beginning in 1906, the Sanborn map of that year has the address listed as #42. This corresponds with the city directory of 1906 and lists Joseph Lawrence, a laborer, and Mrs. Angeline Latourell residing at the house. The address remains #42 in the city directories until c. 1923 when it changes to #22/24.
The bungalow style house behind #22/24 is #40 Blodgett Street and was built c.1923 when it was listed as #42 in the 1923 city directory. The 1929 city directory lists the house as #40 with Leone W. Rugg, an employee of Vermont Spool and Bobbin Co., residing.
Blodgett Street off North Street - K.Smith Photo Oct. 2005
The November 2005 photo shows little change of the streetscape. The buildings are intact and basically unchanged except for some cosmetic features. #30 North Street’s east façade no long has a window in its first story, nor fencing around its back wing. #22/24 Blodgett Street can clearly be seen by its vibrant paint color, but is structurally unchanged. The large American elm trees have been replaced by smaller shade trees and modern vehicles are parked along the right side of the street.
Return to Index
Historic Burlington Project
Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students
in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser
in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection University of Vermont Library Special Collections