North Winooski Avenue from Pearl Street north to 103 North Winooski Avenue

Photo Pair 4

Viewable buildings: 41, 45, and 47 North Winooski Avenue

Photographer:  Louis L. McAllister

Date:  October 27, 1928

This is a closer shot of the houses as compared to photo #3.  This side of the street was mainly built up in the 1880’s, and houses shown in this photo are 41, 45, and 47; they are all Queen Anne houses, a popular style of the late 19th century.  According to the 1853 map, only one building existed from 1853, and it does not match the footprints from any of these houses.(1)  Number 41 is a two-story house with a front gabled roof.  The front is rather symmetrical with two porches flanking the center bay.  A two-story projecting bay window is centered on the façade with scalloped shingles separating the stories.  The roof of the bay window is slate with subtle decorative rose patterns.  Number 45 may have been the first built out of these three Queen Anne houses given the date of 1885, built for F.G. Fletcher who was a prominent boot and shoe dealer.(2)  Number 45 is a gable front Queen Anne house with steeply pitched roof.  It has two bays, with the entrance on the right bay with a small one-story portico with balcony for the 2nd story.  There is a small triangle that connects the gable roof.  Number 47 is very similar to 45; it is a front gabled Queen Anne with entrance on the right bay, but the portico does not have a balcony.  Also, the roof is a bit smaller, does not have any ornament in the gable.  All three appear on the 1889 Sanborn, although 47 is listed as “A” instead of an actual number, which could mean that it was so new that it was not yet assigned a number.  According to the Historic Sites and Structures Survey, number 47 was built in 1889 for Dr. George Briggs as an investment property.  Elmore Johnson built this house for $6,000.(3)  At the time this photograph was taken in 1928, number 41 was vacant; a doctor by the name of William Lyman owned number 45, and was using it as an office and residence.(4)  There may be a good reason why so many photos were taken of these particular houses:  Louis McAllister, the photographer of these historic photographs, resided here for a number of years including this year.(5)  He lived here for approximately 44 years, up until his death in 1963.(6)  Aside from showing the houses, this photograph also captures a few street construction projects occurring.  In the foreground of the photo on the west side of the street, a group of men are standing in back of what looks to be a concrete mixer, and two men are raking the freshly poured concrete.  Looking further north down the street, another truck and group of men are working.  This is likely the same project that is showcased in previous photo.  The area between the street and tracks is torn up, revealing dirt and rocks.  Two men are supervising both projects.  The sides of the street are lined with bags of Portland cement.  No trees stand at in front of these houses; but the elms can be seen lining the rest of the street to the north.

(1) 1853 Presdee and Edward Map

(2) Morschbach, “45 North Winooski Avenue” and Burlington City Directory 1890

(3) Morschbach, “47 North Winooski Avenue”

(4) 1928 Burlington City Directory

(5) Ibid

(6) Blow, p. 26-27


Photographer:  Rebecca McNamara

Date:  December 6, 2005

UTM Coordinates:  18T 0642250 4926905

Standing in the middle of North Winooski Avenue by #42 looking northwest


From 1928 to 2005, this section of the street has changed very little; the main changes have been on the houses themselves.  In 1942, an addition to a rear garage has been added to 47 for use as a three-car garage.  By 1978, an addition has been built on the south side of number 41.  And by conducting a site survey, it is noticed that all three houses are apartment buildings.  Number 41 has been resided with modern siding, wider than the original, in a brownish color.  The roof of the bay windows is still slate, and the rosette pattern can still be seen.  It appears that the current owners are doing work; the upstairs bay window frame is being primed.  Number 47 was resided with yellow aluminum.  The porch has been painted white; and the balcony from the 2nd story balcony has been removed.  Number 47 appears to be in good shape; it appears to retain the original siding.  The main difference on the front façade is the entrance porch has been expanded, and a second story added on.  Unlike the rest of the contemporary comparisons on the street thus far, the trees are much larger here in 2005 than in 1928.  The traffic of automobiles has greatly increased since 1928; the modern photos show cars and vans racing down the street, as modern society is very reliant on the automobile.



Historic Burlington Project
Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830

Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students
in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser
in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection University of Vermont Library Special Collections