Opened in 1832, Elmwood Avenue is a street that has been known by several names. The one in longest use was Locust Street, which was in use until 1878, when the name was changed due to the elms which 'replaced the locusts long before'. This street is known for its most prominent feature: Elmwood Cemetery. The Cemetery was opened in 1801 as a place to hold the mortal remains of Levi Allen, the destitute brother of Ethan and Ira Allen.
In 1931, the street became the subject of documentation by Burlington photographer Louis L. McAllister. McAllister was creating an archive of pre- and post-construction road conditions for the Burlington Public Works Department. He inadvertently, but successfully, documented many of the structures and significant landscape features in Burlington's Old North End in the process of his photographic travels. This project is a photographic comparison of the Burlington L.L. McAllister knew in the 1920's and 1930's with the Burlington we see today.
- Kurt Jergensen
Historic Burlington Project
Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students
in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser
in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection University of Vermont Library Special Collections