June 19, 1941

Photographed on the same day as image number 16, the viewpoint here is from the opposite end of Barrett Street at the corner of Chase Street, looking west toward Colchester Avenue. The image shows the condition of the road before the city’s Street Department began its work in 1941.

On the left side of the image, a part of the building at 51 Barrett Street, on the corner of Chase Street, is visible. A two-story gable end shows four windows with wood surrounds topped by small pediments. The house has narrow clapboard siding with corner boards and frieze mouldings. A rather delicately embellished one-story wood porch extends from the main block on the west side. The City Directory lists William C. White, a carpenter, residing at this address in 1941.[1]

The stone foundation and the building’s style, a simple yet elegant vernacular farmhouse, would seem to date it to the middle of the nineteenth century.

On the right side of the image is a clear view of the east elevation of 32 Barrett Street just before it was raised and moved back from the edge of the street. Behind it, 14 Barrett Street is partially visible.

[ 1] Burlington City Directory (1941).



November 2, 2005

(18T 0644236   UTM 4927658)

Nearly all of the buildings are obscured by trees in this recent image of Barrett Street. A row of cedars blocks a better view of 51 Barrett Street on the left, while four or five large maples hide most of number 32 on the right.

Colchester Avenue east of East Avenue, Barrett and Mill Streets

Historic Burlington Project
Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830

Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students
in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser
in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection University of Vermont Library Special Collections