October 21, 1929

This image, looking west toward the Winooski River from the corner of Colchester and Riverside Avenues, shows the street work in progress. In the 1929 Annual Report, George Stanly wrote:

"Before the new pavement was constructed, new sidewalks, curbs and gutters were constructed on all sides of this intersection. The entire area… with the exception of a small park area to divide traffic was then paved with the standard reinforced concrete slab seven inches in thickness, the same as was used on the upper portion of Colchester Avenue. Several catch basins were also installed to provide more adequate drainage… In addition to the sidewalks and curbs… the Department constructed a concrete curb around the little triangular park which was left in the center of the intersection. This park will be further developed next summer by the Park Department."[1]

The three street lanterns on high posts also were newly installed.

[1] Annual Report of the City of Burlington (1929), 238-239.


October 11, 2005

(18T 0644176   UTM 4927685)

Seventy-six years later, the same sidewalk and curbing are visible. Sections of sidewalk have been pitched and deformed over time, but they are in remarkably intact considering the years passed and the heavy traffic flowing through the intersection. Several layers of asphalt paving have been laid in the ensuing years, as evidenced by the curb being nearly met by the level of the roadway.

Colchester Avenue east of East Avenue, Barrett and Mill Streets

Historic Burlington Project
Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830

Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students
in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser
in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection University of Vermont Library Special Collections