University of Vermont

Historic Burlingtonā€š Vermont

83 Summit Street

83 Summit Street

Built: 1885-6
Champlain College

83 Summit Street is located at the corner of Maple and Summit Streets in the area known as the Hill Section. This building is representative of the Queen Anne style and was built between1885-1886. (1) The many jutting and recessing walls are typical of the Queen Anne style however the fact that this building is made of brick is not. The use of brick rather than the normal wood construction shows that the owner wanted to convey a sense of magnitude and elegance. This brick residence was built for Frederick Curtis Kennedy by A.B. Fisher a prominent architect in the Burlington area. Kennedy began his long working career as a public school teacher at the age of nineteen. By 1850 however Kennedy had become a bookkeeper for the Central Vermont Railroad. By 1852 he and his brother, John had saved enough money to start their own produce business in Richmond, Vermont. This business would become the first one in New England to use refrigerator cars to transport their goods. Four years later, October 1856, Kennedy became the accountant at Messers Harding and Bros, in Winooski, Vermont. This would be his place of employment one way or another until his leaves the workforce in 1898. In 1859, Kennedy received the position of agent and manager fo the mill. Due to increased growth at the mill it became known as the Burlington Woolen Company in October 1861 and Kennedy was made secretary, financial agent, manager and was a member of the board of directors. These were positions Kennedy would hold until February 21, 1898 when he retired. During his long stay at the mill Kennedy was able to find time to be the State Senate representative for Chittenden County in 1870. He also was able to find a wife and have children. On April 15, 1859 Kennedy married Amelia Mason and had four children with her. Their daughter would grow to marry Lorenzo C. Woodhouse, a prominent man in Burlington. When Kennedy had his house built he wanted every convenience he could receive at the time, for $15,000 Kennedy was able to get one of the first direct telephone lines to the Winnoski Wool Mills. (2) In 1900, Kennedy moved to rooms above the Masonic Temple on Church Street and in 1902 the building was sold to General Stephen Perry Joceyln. When he passed away his daughter Dorothy and her husband William Westervelt and it became known as the Westervelt Estate. Dorothy continued to live there until she passed away in 1981. Her daughter then sold the estate to Champlain College. Since that date it has been known as Aiken Hall, named after the Lola Aiken a trustee of the college and the widow of a prominent Vermont politician. Currently the building is being used by the college as a co-ed residence hall. (3)

F.C. Kennedy. (4)

 

 

 

 

The Carriage Barn

Built:1886

Behind 83 Summit Street is a carriage barn built by A.B. Fisher at the same time as the residence, 1886. This building mimics the residence in that it is an elaborate brick Queen Anne. It has hipped roofs over an irregular plan. (5) Over time the carriage barn no longer held carriages instead it held automobiles. Eventually it was changed again into apartments on the second floor and a car garage on the first. As part of the Westerveldt Estate it was sold to Champlain College at the death of Dorothy Westerveldt in 1981. Upon acquiring the property Champlain College converted the space into offices on the second floor and classrooms on the first floor. (6)

 

 

(1)Burlington City Directory, 1886-87, 121.

(2)Men of Progress, 204-6.

(3)"Champlain College Website."

(4)Round About Burlington, 8.

(5)HSSS

(6)"Champlain College Website."

Last modified December 07 2004 12:48 AM

Accessibility | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact UVM © 2019 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131