University of Vermont

Historic Burlingtonā€š Vermont

237 South Willard Street

237 South Willard Street

Built: 1885
Contributing structure to the South Willard Historic District
Owned by Champlain College

237 South Willard Street is believed to have been built by J.W. Dunham for his brother Austin W. Dunham. It was designed by A.B. Fisher to be the same structure as 227 South Willard. They are essentially twins to each other today except for the colors of the wood moldings, the very tall chimney of 237 South Willard has been removed, and the front entrances are different from each other. Austin worked as the clerk for his brother’s company, Bronson, Weston, Dunham and Company. Austin moved into the building in 1885, but only stayed there three years when he relocated to a house at 230 South Union Street. (1) Elias Lyman purchased the property from Austin in 1889 and resided there until 1923. Lyman was a wealthy merchant who was involved with oil and coal. In 1923 he sold the property to Thomas Wright after which there were several different owners until 1968. In 1968, Champlain College purchased the property and renamed it Lyman Hall after Elias Lyman and several professors whom had donated to the college. (2)

(1)HSSS

(2)"Champlain College Website."

Last modified December 07 2004 01:11 AM

Accessibility | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact UVM © 2019 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131