University of Vermont

Historic Burlingtonā€š Vermont

227 South Willard Street

227 South Willard Street

front, east elevation
rear, west elevation

Built: 1885
Contributing structure in the South Willard Historic District
Owned by Champlain College

227 South Willard is a large, Queen style residence. Built in 1885 by A.B. Fisher for J.W. Dunham, this structure is very special for several reasons. (1) One such reason is on the east facade of the building where there is a carriage garage in the basement of the building. Another special feature that this building has is one that is shared with the building next door, 237 South Willard. The two buildings share this excellent brick and terra cotta work. Dunham was from Albany, New York, where he had a very successful business as a lumber dealer. In 1876 the firm Bronson, Weston, and Greene, a successful lumber dealer in Burlington asked Dunham to be a partner. Dunham agreed and the company became known as Bronson, Weston, Dunham and Company. In 1892 Dunham decided to leave Burlington and return to Albany, NY. He sold his property to F.E. Burgess. Burgess was the president of the Horatio Hickok Company and remained on the property until 1920 when he sold it to Edward Clarkson. Clarkson and his wife gave birth to a daughter who would come to marry Ralph Nading Hill Sr. They would in turn give birth to Ralph Nading Hill, Jr., who was a well known Vermont author. (2) Hill Jr wrote the first history of Champlain College, called The Invisible College. In 1973 Champlain College purchased the property and renamed it Hill House after Ralph Nading Hill, Jr. Today the building is used as a coed residence hall. (3)

(1)Burlington City Directories, 1886-7, 71.

(2)"Champlain College Website"

(3)HSSS

Last modified January 09 2007 11:01 PM

Accessibility | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact UVM © 2019 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131