University of Vermont

Historic Burlingtonā€š Vermont

204 South Willard Street

204 South Willard Street

Built: 1878-81
Contributing structure to the South Willard Historic District

204 South Willard was built 1878 and 1881 for L.A. Walker and was most likely designed by A.B. Fisher. (1) The hipped roof rests upon a square block and is topped with a square cupola, all done in the elegant Italianate style. The roof line is broken in the center to form a center peak. Elegant wood work has been used throughout the exterior including brackets and lintels. L.A. Walker and his brother K.B. owned a marble and granite works in Burlington, called Walker Bros and Company. They formed this partnership in 1871 and it ended in 1880 when K.B. went to work for someone else. L.A. formed a partnership with Tablin and dealt with Isle Motte stone, marble and granite. This partnership did not last long though by 1886 the partnership was dissolved and L.A. Walker worked alone. After the end of his two partnerships Walker worked with granite, marble, Isle Motte stone, street curbing and flagging. Walker died in 1888 and his business was dissolved. (2)

(1)Burlington City Directory and Business Advertiser, July 1879 to July 1881, 117.

(2)HSSS

Last modified December 07 2004 03:00 PM

Accessibility | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact UVM © 2019 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131