University of Vermont

Historic Burlingtonā€š Vermont

Untitled Document

 

192 Jackson Court

Built: 1890 (1)
Contributing structure in the South Willard Historic District

Listed as Wells-Jackson Carriage House-Complex on the National Register of Historic Places

192 Jackson Court is the second in a mass of buildings known as the Jackson Barn Complex.

Named the Jackson Court complex after William Wells’ son-in-law, H. Nelson Jackson. Jackson is famous for being the first person to cross the continent in an automobile in 1903. There are two other buildings in the complex both were built in 1900. (2) The building was used to house livery staff, who serviced the Wells Estate. 192 Jackson Court is made up of irregular roof lines on a basic rectangular block. Some of the windows appear to be the originals containing 9/9 sash window panes. This vernacular building started as a dwelling for livery staff and it remains a residence today.

 

(1) Hopkins.

(2)HSSS.

Last modified December 07 2004 03:37 PM

Accessibility | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact UVM © 2019 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131