What still stands from between 1869 and 1877 in Burlington, Vermont?
19 Allen Street
This simple gable front building was built circa 1873 during a period when the eastern end of Allen Street was first being developed. The first owner was Phillip Payne who worked for C. Blodgett and Sons, a lumber company (see ad, next page). Mr. Payne’s wife and two daughters, Katie and Mary, also lived in the house until the late 1870’s. Mary worked at J.H. Gates and Company. Nineteen Allen Street has been well maintained and is in excellent condition. It has remained a single-family house. The front porch was added sometime after 1885 since it is not shown on the 1885 Sanborn Map.