57 North Street
57 North Street was once a vernacular one-and-a half-story gable front house. There have been several additions to the house including the one-story front addition and the two-story side porch that squared off part of the original gabled roof. There are also some rear additions to this house that one cannot see from this photograph.
The BeerÕs Map shows that there was no house on this plot of land owned by McEwen, a resident of Burlington, in 1869. The house was built in the early 1870Õs and the McEwen family was the first family to occupy the house. The McEwen family rented to boarders though out their years of occupying the house. They were listed as the owners of the house on the 1890 HopkinÕs Map. By 1901, the house had a new owner, William F. Murray. Around 1940 the house began to be used as a commercial space as well as a residential space. There was a barbershop at the house from 1940 until 1970. In 1970 a used furniture store was run out of the house as well as the barbershop.