40 Strong Street
Strong Street was a new street in Burlington, which first appeared on the Bird’s Eye View Map of 1877. The 1969 Beer’s Map shows the area in which Strong Street is now located as part of the Chittenden County Fairgrounds. There are two houses built on Strong Street between 1870 and 1877 that greatly resemble one another, house number 30 and house number 40. 40 Strong Street is vernacular in design with its simple gable front entrance. There have been many additions to the house including the enclosed front porch, large addition in the back, and side entrance.
From the 1877 –1878 Burlington City Directory, it appears that J. Bergeron, a carpenter, was the first resident and owner of the house. He continues to be listed as the owner of the house on the 1890 Hopkinton Map although it appears that he no longer lived there. In the 1884-1885 Burlington City Directory, various laborers that worked in the nearby lumber industries boarded at the house. In 1901, the house is listed under Dennis Mc Gillicuddy’s name. He was employed as a collector. The house continued to be the residence of various blue-collar workers into the twentieth century including a meat cutter and a foreman.