South Winooski Avenue
South Winooski Avenue runs north and south, beginning at Pearl Street and extending south through Spruce Street towards the end of Burlington. In the 1870s, South Winooski, south of Maple Street, was called Elm Street, and ended at Spruce Street, and north of Main Street, was a continuation of North Winooski Avenue.1 However, the northern part of the avenue took on the nickname of “White Street” after the white, wood frame church, which once sat on the east side of the road near Pearl Street, erected by the First Congregational Church parish.2 Very little development occurred along South Winooski Avenue during the 1870s. A large, Irish, immigrant population occupied the area around Elm Street, and the northern part of the road was well established with churches and businesses, many of which still stand today.3 The current City Market store stands where the old City Market block of the 1800s once stood.4
1 1869 Beers Atlas map; 1877 Birds-Eye map
2 David Blow, Historic Guide to Burlington Neighborhoods, (Burlington: Queen City Printers, Inc.), 1991, 47.
3 1880 Census records
4 Burlington City Directories