Water Street [Park Street]
By 1869, the area that is now Park Street was already fairly well developed and settled. As this was one of the areas closest to the waterfront, it was developed early, and had a more constant, less rotational group of craftsmen and laborers. While the buildings along this street were somewhat established, the street itself was not. What is today known as Park Street underwent several name changes over the course of Burlington's history. According to the 1869 Burlington City Directory, this is Water Street below North Street, and Chestnut Street above. By 1881, the entire street was called North Battery. Because of this, researching the homes along this stretch required careful consideration.
86 Park Street
Current aerial maps show the exact footprint as 1869 Beers map, which lists P. Welsh at this site. The 1869 Directory states that Patrick Welsh, an employee of the Rutland and Burlington Railroad lived on "North st. between Smiths Lane and Water." North does not run between Smiths Lane [now Sherman Street] and Water [now Park], but Water runs between Smith and North. This must be a misprint in the directory. T. W. Conway lived here by 1881 according to that year's directory. The 1890 Hopkins map does not list a name at this location, but the footprint remains the same. The porch was an obvious later addition to this structure. Finally, the Vermont Sites and Structures Survey lists the construction date of this building as 1869 with P. Welsh as the owner.1
105 Park Street
The 1869 Beers map lists an A. Atwater at this address. According to the 1869 Directory, no Atwater lived near this location. The earliest evidence of someone at this location is from the 1881 Directory which lists a T. Bolger living here. T. Bolger is still listed at this site on the 1890 Hopkins map. The central massing and first floor bay window is similar in style to both 66 North Street and 14-16 Pitkin, suggesting a common builder. The side shed addition and rear addition were added after the original construction.
111 Park Street
Current aerial maps show a similar footprint to the 1869 Beers map where T. Cosgriff is listed as the resident. The 1869 Directory states that T. Cosgriff, a tinsmith with Blodgett and Sweet, lived on "Water st. Between North st. and the Battery." The Vermont Sites and Structures Survey lists the construction date of this building as c. 1880 with T. Cosgriff as the owner.2 It is possible that current structure is a rebuild on the site, but T. Cosgriff was definitely living here in 1869. By 1881, according to the directory of that year, a man by the name of Deming was living here. By 1890, according to the Hopkins map, M. Cook, shown in 1869 Beers map across the street, was at this location. A rear addition was added to this building after 1890, as it is not visible on that map. The central massing remains intact.
112 Park Street
According to the 1869 Beers Map, Mrs. Cook lived at this location. The 1867-68 Burlington Directory lists Mrs. Bridget Cook on "Water st. near North." The 1871 Directory similarly shows Mrs. Cook on "Water st. between Munroe and North." The 1890 Hopkins map still lists Mrs. B. Cook at this address, and the current footprint is almost identical.
115-117 Park Street
The current massing of this building is almost identical to that shown on the 1869 Beers Map which shows A. Hathaway at this location. The 1867 Directory states that Arthur Hathaway lived on "Water st. between Munro [sic] and North." Vermont Sites and Structures states 1865 with Arthur Hathaway as the owner.3 According to the 1881 Directory, P.H. Corley was living here. His name appears at this location on the 1890 Hopkins map as well. The building retains most of its original integrity. The side porches are a later addition to the central block and ell.
134 Park Street
The current footprint of this building is not the same as shown on the 1869 Beers map. However, the name that appears on the map, D. Flaherty, has a long history on this site. The 1869 Directory states that Daniel Flaherty, and employee of the Vermont Central Railroad lived on "water st. near north st." Deed Records from 1865 show an entry from Dennis Flaherty to Daniel Flaherty for "Lot no. 22 on the east side of Water Street."4 This is the same lot number listed on the 1890 Hopkins map for this site, which bears the name D. Flaherty, and has the exact footprint of this building. It is likely that the drawing on the 1869 Beers map for this building is incorrect. This building is also similar to others around this area indicating a similar builder. Currently the building is in very good condition with no major additions.
153 Park Street
The 1869 Beers map labels this site as belonging to M. Kelly. The map bears a misprint, as M. Kelly owned the house next door at 169 Park Street. This building belonged to Jeremiah O'Brien, an employee of the L. Barnes and Co. Lumber company. According to the 1869 Directory, J. O'Brien lived on "Chestnut Street near North." The 1881 Directory lists J. O'Brien at 153 N. Battery. The 1890 Hopkins map still shows J. O'Brien at this site. Currently, the building still has the original central massing, although extensive additions have been placed at the rear. The front porch is also a late addition.
162 Park Street
Possibly the best survivor in this area, current maps show exact footprint as 1869 map, which lists Varran at this location. The 1867 Directory states that Oliver Varran lived on "water st. North of North." The Vermont Sites and Structures Survey lists the construction date of this building as 1866 for Oliver Varran.5 By 1881, the city directory lists Patrick Hayes as living here, ironically the same man from whom Varran bought the original 78 North Street building. The 1890 Hopkins map still lists P. Hayes at this location. The building is extremely well cared for and maintains its central massing. A small addition was made to the rear for entry purposes.
169 Park Street
Although M. Kelley is listed on the 1869 Beers map closer to North Street, this was actually the building. The 1869 Directory states that Michael Kelley lived on "Chestnut street near north street," and the 1881 Directory lists this specific address. Michael Kelley is also shown on the 1890 Hopkins map complete with street number. Cosmetic changes have been made to this building, but the central massing remains intact.
170 Park Street
No name is listed at this location on the 1869 Beers map. The 1881 Directory listed a James Hennigan, at this address, and the 1871 Directory listed him as an employee of G.L. Linsley who lived on "Chestnut st. near North." There is no mention of this name in the 1869 Directory, although there was clearly a house at this location on the 1869 map. J. Hennigan is still at this location on the 1890 Hopkins map. The central massing of this building remains intact despite an addition at the rear and a large front porch which are obvious later additions.
176 Park Street
Current aerial maps show a similar footprint to the 1869 Beers map. No information could be located regarding the original owners. According to the 1881 Directory, Edmund Riley was at this address. His name also appears on the 1890 Hopkins map in this location. Many alterations have been made to this structure, and as such, it is difficult to determine whether this is the original structure. More research will be necessary to determine with certainty.
207 Park Street
Current aerial maps show a similar footprint as on the 1869 Beers map. The Vermont Sites and Structures Survey states that this building was constructed in 1871 for John McGrath.6 However, the 1869 Directory sates that John McGrath, an employee of the city water works, had a house on "Chestnut street, between North st. and North Bend." It is likely that this is the same house, and that the Survey is off by a couple of years. The 1881 Directory places John McGrath at this address, and he is still located at this site on the 1890 Hopkins Map.
225 Park Street
Current aerial maps show a similar footprint as the 1869 Beers map. Vermont Sites and structures states 1868 built for P. Sheridan who began living here in 1871.7 The 1869 Directory lists P. Sheridan at another location, but the 1871 Directory states that Sheridan, an employee of the city water works, lived on "Chestnut St." The 1881 Directory lists this specific address, and P. Sheridan is listed on this site with this street number on the 1890 Hopkins map. The central massing of the building remains intact despite later additions to the south and rear of the building.
1 Vermont Sites and Structures Survey, Park Street, CD Rom.
4 Burlington City/Town Records, Box 5, 1865, p. 17.
5 Vermont Sites and Structures Survey, Park Street, CD Rom.