In 1869, North Street was home to both shops and houses and populated by the working class. The section of North Street covered by the Author ran from Pitkin to North Champlain, north and south sides and from North Champlain to Lafountain, north side only. A National Register Historic District Nomination was conducted in April of 1996, listing several properties along North Street as contributing structures. References to the National Register in this section allude to this report.
66 North Street
Current aerial maps show the exact footprint as drawn on the 1869 Beers map, where the name J. Gravelin appears. The 1867-68 Directory places John Gravelin, an employee of Wing and Smith, who manufactured shoe lasts, on "North Street near Chestnut" [currently Park]. Deed Register research for the year 1866 gave a vague listing from Lewis Luck to John Graveline of "Bond for Deed." 1 The 1869 Directory does not put a Gravelin in this area, but by the 1871 Directory, J. Gravelin is again listed on "North Street near Pitkin." It is doubtful that Mr. Gravelin moved away and then back again, and thus there must be an omission from the 1869 Directory. By 1878, Mr. Gravelin had moved from this house. Currently this structure is divided into apartments and the large porch and staircase to the east is an obvious later addition.
70 North Street
Current aerial maps show a somewhat similar footprint to 1869 map, where the name Ross is listed at this location. The 1869 Directory does not list a Ross here, however, an 1866 Deed listing shows that H. Ballard sold to Juliette Ross "Land on North side of North street, corner of Chestnut." [currently Park street].2 Whether the land included a house is not clear. The National Register Dates this structure c. 1880, calling it the Hogan House.3 The name of Hogan does appear at on the 1890 Hopkins map, and while the footprint seems slightly different than the 1869 map, it must be remembered that the map was not precise. It is possible that this structure was a rebuild within exact footing lines. More research is necessary to clear the discrepancy. The upper west side window positioned so close to the evesline may make this an earlier structure than 1880. A large addition at the rear was added much later.
84 North Street
The 1869 Beers map lists the name G. Duff at this location. The 1869 Directory does not place George Duff here, however, the 1866 Deed Register states that there was a transfer from J. B[unreadable] to George Duff of "Land of W. J. Mead on North Side of North st."4 The 1871 Directory states that Oliver Varran moved to this location which served as his house, and located next door to the grocery he owned at 78 North Street. The 1881 Burlington Directory still lists Oliver Varran at this location, calling it 82 North Street. However, the 1890 Hopkins map distinctly shows two structures at the corner where 78 North stands as opposed to the one footprint on the 1869 map. More than likely, the original 78 North street was destroyed sometime after 1881, and two buildings built on the lot in its place, thus rearranging the street number making the former 82 North Street assigned 84. This could be the same building. The National Register lists this building as c. 1880, calling it the Collins house, referencing a Thomas Collins who lived at this address in 1900.5 It is possible that the structure is much older.
93 North Street
The 1869 Beers map shows M. Moore at this location. A listing in the 1869 directory states that Michael Moore, who worked for L. Barnes and Co., lived on "North st. between Champlain and Water st." [currently Park street]. The 1881 City Directory lists a Bridget More [sic] living at this location, along with two women who were employed at the Van Ness House. The 1890 Hopkins map shows a Mrs. B. Moore at this location. There was obviously a misprint in the 1881 directory as this is undoubtedly the same Bridget Moore. It is likely that she took in boarders after her husband's death. The National Register lists this house as c. 1880, and that it was originally a one-and-a-half story brick structure with the later upper addition.6 It is possible that this building was rebuilt on similar foundation lines. It would be ironic that Mr. Moore, who worked for a lumber company, would have a brick house. However, it is very likely that the brick elements of this structure are the original Moore home as drawn on the 1869 map.
98 North Street
With this address on North Street, the 1869 Beers Map introduces
the name of William Mead. According to Deed Register research,
it seems that Mr. Mead owned all of the land on this side of North
Street between what are now Park and North Champlain Streets.
Land was sold to Patrick Hayes at the corner of Park, and the
next parcel from the corner to George Duff.7 The remaining lots
here bear the Mead name in 1869. An 1865 Deed Register listing
states that William Mead gave William N. Mead "27 rods of
land west side of Champlain street."8 By the 1890 Hopkins
map, none of this land bears the Mead name. The current location
of this specific house looks similar to the 1869 map, but the
foundation lines are different. The National Register dates this
structure c. 1875, and calls it the Thomas Cummings house, the
name which appears on the 1890 map.9 The current footprint and
the footprint on the 1890 map seem more in line, however, once
again, the 1869 Beers map was not precise.
1 Burlington City/Town Records, Box 5, 1866-67, p.3.
2 Ibid, p.12.
3 Bourgerie, Gabrielle, Brian Knight, and Elaine Park. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, April 1996, p. 11.
4 Burlington City/Town Records, Box 5, 1866-67, p.72.
5 Bourgerie, p.14.
6 Ibid, p. 16.
7 Burlington City/Town Records, Box 5, 1866-67, p. 25 (Hayes) and p. 72 (Duff).
8 Ibid, p. 21.
9 Bourgerie, p. 17.