Constructed prior to 1869, 9 Rumsey Lane is a two-story, three-by-two bay, dwelling. Multiple roof shapes and cornice lines indicate that the building was built in many stages throughout the years. Currently, shingles clad the exterior and all of the windows appear to be replacements.
9 Rumsey Lane is listed on the 1869 Beers atlas as "J. Groto" and is located adjacent to 10 Rumsey Lane. Groto appeared in the 1866-1867 Burlington city directory as an employee of H. Paddock. Groto is listed as living in a house near Winooski. The 1890 Hopkins map of Burlington identifies "G. A. Rumsey" as owning 9 Rumsey Lane. It appears that the Rumsey's property which later became 9 Rumsey Lane was a continuation of his property along Chase Street.
By the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Rumsey Lane was known as "Croto's Lane." The 1901 Burlington city directory lists Adelia Poirer, widow of Joseph, (a quarryman who passed away on July 7, 1900) and her three children, as residing on Croto's Lane. Although, by 1902, Edward Shortsleeves, a mill hand, occupied Croto's Lane. (1)
The 1910 Burlington city directory lists James J. Brennan,
a mill hand, as residing at 9 Rumsey Lane. No mention of "Croto's
Lane" exists. Mrs. A. M. Hall was identified in the 1920
Burlington city directory and in 1930, Daniel L. Duffy, an employee
of J. E. Booth, resided at 9 Rumsey Lane. The 1940 Burlington
city directory continues to list Duffy, although he was then employed
at the American Woolen Company.
(1) Waite, L. P. and Company. Burlington City Directory
and Business Directory (Burlington, Vermont: The Free Press