94-96 North Champlain Street is a two-story, flat roofed, six by three bay duplex located on the west side of North Champlain Street between Peru and North Streets. Its flat roof, overhanging cornice, and brackets are strong Italianate features. The building has undergone few major changes since construction.
This building was constructed between 1857 and 1869.1 Michael Bridgeman, a laborer, owned this building and its twin at 98-100 North Champlain Street in 1869.2 It has probably always been used at least partially for rental income by its owners. In 1910, it housed a wide variety of tenants, including S.B. Rogers (a stained glass artist), M.H. Clark (a farmer), and Dr. D.A. Shea, MD. In 1920, the residents included Martin McLaughlin, a carpenter, and Charles L. Smith, an employing of a clothing company.3 Agnes Mortimer bought the property in 1921, and held it until 1926, renting to people such as Mrs. Mary O'Neil (1930s, widow), and Anson L. Davis (1940s, unemployed).4