North Champlain Street is a small vernacular house of one and one-half stories, a gable front, two bays, and a wood frame. It sits on the east side of North Champlain Street between Monroe and Peru Streets.
It was probably built between 1853 and 1869.1 Another structure on this site in 1853 had a substantially different footprint than the current building. In 1869 it was owned by L. Cummings, an attorney who lived elsewhere in Burlington.2 W.B. Lund, a large property owner in the area, sold the building in 1911, indicating that before that time it had remained a rental property.3 Tenants in the early 20th Century included a clerk, a chauffeur, and a motorman.4 In 1936, the house was purchased by Napoleon P. Matthews, an employee of the Burlington Free Press, who lived there until 1973.5