28 Murray Street is a two-story, gable-front, two bay, wood frame structure on the east side of Murray Street between Peru and Allen Streets. Its west elevation features cornice returns and full arched windows in the second story. The current building has an identical footprint to that on the 1869 Beers Atlas Map.
The house was built between 1857 and 1869, and was owned by G.W. Curtis, a hardware clerk, in 1869.1 Frank X. Joachim, a foreman at the E.B. and A.C. Whiting Company, owned and occupied the building from c.1890 to at least 1903.2 J. Ernest Lanou, a plumber, bought the house in 1915, and sold it to Margaret T. Murphy in 1930, who lived there until at least 1940.3