16 Murray Street

16 Murray Street is a one and one-half-story, gable-front, two over three-bay, wood frame structure on the east side of Murray Street between Peru and Allen Streets. The entrance, which is located in the southernmost bay, is surrounded by a simple entablature. Cornice returns help to define the front fašade. An ell projecting to the south was added by 1890.1 A final small addition to the rear of the building completed its construction between 1926 and 1942.2

This house was built between 1857 and 1869 for Alex Diette and J.B. Robarge,3 local blacksmiths and carriage makers who owned several rental properties in the area. C.J. Alger, an attorney who lived across Murray Street, owned and rented the property in 1890.4 The building continued to be rented until 1923, with such occupants as Thomas Wheeler (1900s, employed by J.R. Booth), Thomas Crosby (1910s, blacksmith), and Joseph St. John (proprietor of a grocery on LaFountain Street).5 In 1923, the property was acquired by Joseph Lariviere, a carpenter, who lived at the site until 1938.6 Lariviere sold the property to Donald Crosby in 1938, who returned the building to rental use until he sold it again in 1968.7 Edward L. Kaufman, a gas station attendant at Field's Service Station, rented the house in 1940.8


1Hopkins Map, 1890.
2Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, 1919 and 1926.
3Walling Map, 1857; Beers Atlas Map, 1869.
4Hopkins Map, 1890.
5Burlington City Directories.
6Burlington City Tax Assessors Records, Burlington City Directories.
7Burlington City Tax Assessors Records.
8Burlington City Directories.

Return to Index...