This brick house, built circa 1845, follows the general pattern popular in Burlington for middle-class Greek Revival residences of the period in that it is two-and-a-half stories high, three bays wide and has a pedimented gable facing the street. What gives this house a real distinction is the unusual ogee-shaped blind fanlight in its gable. The Vermont Division for Historic Preservation's survey of N. Union Street comments that this ogee fanlight motif is similar to one found on a house on North Battery Street, and that number 144 brings this part of N. Union Street a sense of elegance more typically associated with the Pearl Street corridor's historic buildings. This house was the residence of George Barrows who was one of the first commercial developers of upper Church Street, where he built number 38-44 a large commercial block in 1860. The Barrows family lived at 144 N. Union Street circa 1855-1900. (1)
(1) Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey: Burlington North Union Street.