The Old Stone
Store, south half 1827, north half 1841
The Old Stone Store dates from a
time in Burlington's history when the key method of transporting
goods was by water. The northern half of what is now a granite
block gable front building was built by Burlington lawyer Timothy
Follett in 1827 for the bustling freight transport business. Mayo,
Follet & Co. utilized the building for storage of freight
unloaded at the old "South Warf" just west of the building
and along the waterfront at the end of Maple Street.(1)
The northern half of the building
was built in 1827 in response to this need for waterfront storage.
As time went on, this area of Battery Street turned out to be
conducive to a variety of business activities and developed into
Burlington's thriving business district.(2) The south half of
the store and the gable roof was built in 1841 in an effort to
keep pace with the surrounding environment.
Though the dates of construction for this building seem quite
assured, close study of the 1830 Ami B. Young map of Burlington
creates a puzzle. On this northwest corner of what is now Maple
and Battery Street (it is labeled Wharf Street on the Young map
and South Street on the Presdee), neither the south nor the north
half of the Stone Store seems to exist.(Fig. 1) When compared
to the Presdee & Edwards map of 1853, it is made even clearer
that Young either did not record the structure on the map, or
no structure existed.(Fig. 2) Interpretation of the Young map
is also an important consideration, as the student researching
this building last year felt Young had indeed drawn the building
on the map. This presents a quandary that begs greater investigation,
but was not feasible in the time frame given.
The two sections of the building
are not easily distinguished. The smaller north half is a simple
three bay block constructed of granite. The south half is similar,
but more decorative with four bays of larger windows and a more
elaborate entryway. In addition, simple Greek pilasters on the
first story of the south façade serve to further distinguish
the two sections. The building was fully renovated in 1979 and
currently houses offices and a restaurant.
(1) United States National
Park Service, National Register of Historic Places Inventory:
Battery-King St. Historic District, 1976-1978.
(2) David Blow, Historic Guide to Burlington Neighborhoods (Burlington:
Chittenden County Historical Society, 1991), 94.
Photos: Nate Bailly
to the Waterfront...