This brick two story gable front
Greek Revival building is located in the area that was known as
"Glassville" while the Champlain Glass Company was in
operation. Indeed, it was company property until after the Civil
War.(1) It has some unusual characteristics, including an ogee
shape gable vent and Italianate brackets inside the gable and
underneath the eaves. This is the second occurrence of this ogee
vent. The other was seen in the gable of 31/33
Pitkin Street. There could be a connection between these and
a handful of similar details in and around Burlington, and further
investigation may prove fruitful. The footprint of the structure
has changed very little throughout its lifetime. Inspection of
the 1853 Presdee & Edwards map and the 1877 Bird's Eye map
of Burlington reveals that the southerly porch may have been added
between these dates. The rear addition was apparently demolished
and reconstructed sometime before 1889.(2)
After the Civil War, 18 Park Street was first occupied by W. A. Crombie, a lumber employee working for the Shepard, Davis, & Morse lumber firm.(3) Crombie later came to serve as Mayor of Burlington in the 1880s.(4) The building was later occupied by another Burlington Mayor, J. D. Hatch.(5)
(1) David Blow, Historic Guide
to Burlington Neighborhoods (Burlington: Chittenden County Historical
Society, 1991), 3.
(2) Sanborn Insurance Map, 1889.
(3) Beers Atlas of Chittenden County, 1869.
(4) Blow, 3.
(5) Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey, Park Street, (Montpelier, Vermont: Division for Historic Preservation, 1978)
Photo: Nate Bailly
Back to the Waterfront...