304 S. Winooski Avenue
(east side between Adams and Spruce)
Lois H. Coulter
A rectangular block brick 1½ story Greek Revival house with an atypical main façade orientation, 304 S. Winooski Avenue was built ca 1845. Like many of his neighbors, the house's owner, Frank Kelley, was an employee of the Vermont Central Railroad.1 There is a full verandah running across the façade. The porch, bay windows and addition at the back are not original to the house although the stone foundation, slate roof, gable returns and splayed brick lintels are typical of the houses constructed in the 1840s and identify it as such. This brick house, along with 316 S. Winooski, stands out from the later wood frame infill houses in this part of town.
1 The Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey, Burlington, South Winooski Avenue
Return to Church Street Corridor