242 S. Winooski Avenue
(east side between Maple and Adams)
Lois H. Coulter
One of the earliest houses in the area, this 2½ story American bond brick Greek Revival house with a slate roof was built ca 1845 for Christopher Minot Davey (UVM class of 1841). He was “engaged in trade” in Burlington until 1857 when he moved to Rutland following his appointment as Receiver of the Vermont Central Railroad.1 A subsequent owner, F.M. Van Sicklan of the wholesale merchant firm of Van Sicklan, Walker and Company made many alterations after he purchased the house in the 1860s. These renovations added an Italinate cornice on the entrance along with other features and details in the Italianate style popular in Burlington at that time.2 Despite the later stylistic details, the gable returns on the eaves and the Greek Revival cornice betray the building’s earlier origins. Structurally, the building has the rectangular gable front orientation massing typical of the Greek Revival style popular in Burlington in the 1840s. It has a two-story gabled ell at the rear on the south wall. A returning box cornice characterizes the roofline. The 3x3 bay façade has right side front entrance with a stone lintel over the double door entrance with small lights on the top panel of the wood panel doors on the front facing gable end. Because of the raised sandstone foundation, the front entrance is reached via a short flight of stairs. The original gray sandstone steps, although somewhat worn, remain. The entrance porch has a hipped roof supported by fluted columns trimmed with an Italianate style scrolled entablature and molded cornice. The fenestration is uniform on all elevations; six over six sash windows have radiating voussoirs, plain surrounds and wood sills. An enclosed shingled second story porch has been constructed above the rear entrance porch located in the corner formed by the ell at the back of the house. A 1939 addition created a two-story clapboard clad wing on the east façade which enclosed two apartments.3 The original 1880 horse barn remains on the property, converted into a garage.
1 Abby Maria Heminway, Vermont Historical Gazetteer, Volume III, p. 705
2 The Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey, Burlington, South Winooski Avenue
3 Burlington Land Records
Return to Church Street Corridor