This building was built circa
1840. It may have been built as an ell to the old bank block that
was of similar massing and ran down College Street. Its original
use is unknown.(1) A baker, Socrates Beach was already using a
building to house his bakery and confectionary store within this
block as early as 1825.(2) Beach bought this building from Levi
Underwood about 1869 and used the northern half of it to store
flour and other baking supplies until the turn of the century.
The south side of the building has been used as a boarding house
and continued being used as tenements into the twentieth century.
The northern section of the building later housed a harness shop,
Lanou & Sons Plumbing, and a tire shop.(3)
In 1948 the Burlington Savings
Bank converted much of the building into offices and installed
the first drive up window in Vermont.(4) Much of the building
is now vacant, except for the first floor which has been renovated
for restaurant use.
(1) David Blow, Historic Guide
to Burlington Neighborhoods, vol. 11, Burlington, VT, Chittneden
County Historical Society,1997, 42.
(2) W. S. Rann, History of Chittenden County, Syracuse, NY, D. Mason & Co., 1886, 420.
(3) Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, Burlington, VT, 1894, 1900.
(4) The Vermont Division of Historic Preservation, Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey, Bank Street, Montpelier, VT, Division of Historic Preservation, n.d.