The building at 67 Elmwood Avenue
is a three bay, one and one-half gabled front dwelling. It is
wooden clad and exhibits the Greek Revival Style. The exact date
of construction is unknown but was built circa 1850 as it appears
on the 1853 Presdee and Edwards map of Burlington.(1)
The Crandall family occupied the
house for seventy-five years after J. Q. Hinds vacated the premises
in the early 1870's. Dr. Hiram Crandall used the building as a
home and office from 1873-1899.(2) His son Frank Crandall lived
from 1900 until his death in 1928. His wife, Mrs. Donna Crandall
stayed here until the 1944.(3)
(1) Presdee & Edwards, Map
of Burlington, 1853.
(2) The Vermont Division of Historic Preservation, Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey, Elmwood Avenue, Montpelier, VT, Division of Historic Preservation, n.d.
(3) Burlington City Directories, Burlington, VT.