This Federal Style house was the
home of James Morse, a bricksman, builder, and contractor. It
was constructed shortly after 1830.(1) Morse bought the land from
Will Harrington in 1832 for four-hundred-and-fifty dollars. James'
daughter inherited the house in 1868 when James Morse died. His
daughter, Elizabeth was married to Berkely Beeman in 1888 and
they used 336 St. Paul Street as one of the earliest tourist houses
Elizabeth Beeman survived her
husband and went on to care for her brother Cassius P. Morse until
his death in 1928.(3) She remained in the house until the 1930's.
It has since been altered to serve an apartment in the rear of
(1) The Vermont Division of Historic
Preservation, Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey,
St. Paul Street, Montpelier, VT, Division of Historic Preservation,
(2) David Blow, Historic Guide to Burlington Neighborhoods, Burlington, VT, Chittenden County Historical Society, 1991, 71.
(4) Burlington City Directories, Burlington, VT.