This house is very similar to
its neighbor 325 St. Paul Street and was also built circa 1845.
The front-gable with enclosed pediment and side ell is nearly
identical to 325 St. Paul Street. The splayed, brick lintels contrast
the heavy granite lintels at 325. Its unusual door surround with
fluted, ionic columns turned sideways is also different from what
is seen on other Greek Revival houses in Burlington.(1)
It was the home of Dr. Matthew
Cole until 1866. A Mrs. Paul is shown here on the 1869 and 1890
maps but directories list a Mrs. Ira Paul at another address and
a Mrs. Fannie Paul at 349 St. Paul street in 1891.(2)
By 1900, directories list three
individuals here showing its change to apartments. A large, unconnected
extension off the rear of the building was completed by 1982 that
gives this property a total of ten apartments today.(3)
(1) The Vermont Division of Historic
Preservation, Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey,
St. Paul Street, Montpelier, VT, Division of Historic Preservation,
(2) Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey, St. Paul Street.
(3) Burlington City Directories, Burlington, VT.