This building was built circa
1845, its front gabled orientation with side ell is typical of
Greek Revival buildings built during this period. Its property
was part of Kilburn & Gates, a brick manufacturer, in 1869,
and a J. H. Gates living here in 1890's.(1)
Mrs. Matilda Hovey lived here
from the early 1900's until 1920. After which Joseph DesJardins
is listed here in 1920.(2) His use of this property as a boarding
house marks the start of this building serving multi-family purposes.
One addition and several porches are seen in the early 1900's.(3)
The main entrance with three-quarter sidelights and cornice remains,
however, several other entrances have been added to facilitate
(1) The Vermont Division of Historic
Preservation, Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey,
St. Paul Street, Montpelier, VT, Division of Historic Preservation,
(2)Burlington City Directories, Burlington, VT.
(3)Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, 1894, 1900, 1912.