A one-and-one-half story front gabled, brick dwelling remains at 195 St. Paul Street and was built circa 1850.(1) The bay windows and front entrance porch appear in 1942, revealing Italianate features which were added at the time.(2) It was probably built for a Mr. Phelps who is shown here from 1869 until 1890.(3) A Helen M. Phelps is then listed until the 1920's followed by a Samuel B. Conant until 1940. Directory listings suggest the building was renovated to house apartments around 1940.(4)
(1) U.S. National Park Service,
National Register of Historic Places Inventory, Battery
Street Historic District, n.d.
(2) Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, Burlington, VT, 1942.
(3) Maps: Beers' Atlas, Burlington, VT, 1889. G. M. Hopkins, Map of Burlington, 1890.
(4) Burlington City Directories, Burlington, VT