This building was built with 179
Elmwood Avenue and the two houses remain nearly identical to this
day. Built in 1851 for a Mr. Noble Lovely as a residence and for
business purposes.(1) Mr. Lovely had left Burlington by 1866 and
a Sylvester Churchill lived here until 1884, after which the home
was inhabited by a William Kelley, the foreman of the J. R. Booth
Lumber Company. The Burlington City Directories show the passing
of several tenants in the twentieth century but the building remains
as a single-family dwelling today.(2)
Its distinguishing features are
characterized by the blind fan light in the front gable and the
side-lights flanking the entrance.(3) It remains with little alteration
to its exterior, a small entrance porch has been added to the
(1) W. S. Rann, History of
Chittenden County, Syracuse, NY, D. Mason & Co., 477.
(2) Burlington City Directories, Burlington, VT.
(3) The Vermont Division of Historic Preservation, Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey, Elmwood Avenue, Montpelier, VT, Division of Historic Preservation, n.d.
(4) Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps of Burlington, VT, 1894, 1900