179 Elmwood Avenue

Built 1851


By Joe Haun

The building at 179 Elmwood Avenue is the sibling to 185 Elmwood. They were built together by Mr. Noble Lovely in 1851.(1) After Mr. Lovely left town in the 1860's, one H. N. Drury lived here until the turn of the century and was survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary W. Drury from 1900 until 1903.(2) Since then it has seen many tenants and its interior has slowly been altered to house several people in separate apartments.(3).

Its exterior does remain well preserved. Like 185 it retains its original door with Greek Revival Style sidelights and blind fan light in the front gable. A small entrance porch has been added to one side.

(1) W. S. Rann, History of Chittenden County, Syracuse, NY, D. Mason & Co., 447.
(2) Burlington City Directories, Burlington, VT.
(3) The Vermont Division of Historic Preservation, Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey, Elmwood Avenue, Montpelier, VT, Division of Historic Preservation, n.d.