89 North Champlain street was listed on the Historic
Sites and Structures Survey (HSSS) in 1978. It is adjacent to
83 N. Champlain and currently part of the same apartment complex.
It was built around 1840 although the first known resident was
James Blethen in 1865. Blethen worked in Lawrence Barne's lumberyards
where he was a foreman.1
Although it is not dated, a survey done by John Johnson labeled
simply "Champlain Street North of the Glass Factory,"
shows a house at this location. Like most of Johnson's surveys
and maps this was probably done somewhere around 1840. It shows
the "L" configuration still present today. In the front
section, running lengthwise parallel to Champlain Street, there
is a central fireplace open on both sides. In the perpendicular
back section, which would have been a kitchen, there is a beehive
The house is somewhat irregular for Greek Revival fashion in that it faces North Champlain with its long eaves side. It is a large brick building with pointed windows in the eaves and boxed cornices.