Listed on the National Register of Historic Places nomination
form for the Battery Street Historic District, the first known
resident was Socrates Beach.1 Beach owned a bakery
on the corner of Water and Main Street.2 In the
1850 Census Socrates apparently boarded with Joseph Slater. Socrates
was 27 at this time and working as a clerk.3
This brick building on the northeast corner of King and South
Champlain Street, is three bays wide with a gable front orientation.
The bricks are laid out in a repetition of seven courses of stringers
and a course of headers.4 On the King Street gable
end there is a triangular fanlight underneath each eave. The
boxed cornice continues around the gable end for two feet. There
are splayed brick lintels and an elevated entranceway located
on the eastern side of the front facade. The roof framing is
comprised of hewn rafters and plates.5 There is
also a shorter two-story wing that extends to the North, which
is shown clearly on the 1853 Presdee and Edwards map.6
(See also 42 King Street.)
1 1869 Beers Atlas Map of Burlington
VT. Bailey-Howe Library Special Collections, UVM.
2 1867 Burlington City Directory. Bailey-Howe Library Special Collections, UVM.
3 Page 315 1850 U.S. Census. Burlington, VT. Bailey-Howe Library, UVM.
4 National Register of Historic Places nomination form. "Battery Street Historic District." Burlington, Vermont. 1976.
5 Interview with Robert Colaceli, owner 46 King St. Burlington, VT. 11-21-01.
6 1853 Presdee and Edwards map. Burlington, VT. Bailey-Howe Library Special Collections, UVM.