194 South Champlain Street is a brick schoolhouse built
in 1850.1 It replaced the
old and dangerous wooden schoolhouses around Burlington village.
District #8 as it became known, is one of only two remaining district
schoolhouses in Burlington. In 1874 it was sold to Horace W. Smith
and it has been a residence since.2
The schoolhouse is oriented with the gable end facing the street
typical of a Greek Revival style building. On the exterior it
contains a pointed peak vent and splayed brick lintels.
1 National Register of Historic Places
nomination form. "Battery Street Historic District."
Burlington, Vermont. 1976.
2 Blow, David. Historic Guide to Burlington Neighborhoods. Chittenden Co. Historical Society: Burlington, VT. P. 101.