While a building does not appear at this location on the 1877 "Birds-Eye View of Burlington," the listing of a house, owned by Ann Madden, at this location in the 1871 Burlington City Directory and Business Advertiser, the splayed brick lintels above the first story windows, and classical door surround suggests this structure may be the one depicted on the 1853 Presdee & Edwards map (1). In 1879 Henry Thorp received the property through a foreclosure, although Ann Madden continued to live in the house (2). John, a steam fitter, and Rosa Bleau purchased the property in 1884 for $550; it seems likely that during their ownership the second floor was added to the brick veneer first floor and a one story frame addition was completed at the rear of the building (3). In 1900 Louisa H. Austin, widow of George Austin, bought the house, followed by Edward H. and Anna L. Cartwright in 1907, by which time the building had been divided into two apartments (4). One year later Jacob Lapidow, a tailor on Church Street, purchased the property (5). Lapidow added a second floor to the rear addition by 1912 and a two-story porch behind the addition by 1926. In 1942 Max and Gertrude Sobel purchased the property and constructed a garage behind the residence between 1960 and 1978 (6).